Fulbright Senior Award
Fulbright Senior Awards are granted through a competition open to researchers and lecturers of higher education institutions, research institutes, Polish Academy of Science units, international scientific institutes and other scientific units in Poland, in all fields, except for projects which require direct contact with patients. During the stay, the grantee conducts his/her project at a U.S. higher education institution, non-for-profit research institute or government institution. In addition to research, candidates may also teach classes (preliminary approval of the syllabus by the host institution is required).
In order to find more information about the application process, please visit the Polish version of this page.
Awards are offered for 3 to 9 months.
Requirements and restrictions
Individuals eligible to apply:
- Are Polish citizens who do not have dual Polish and U.S. citizenship or permanent residence in the U.S. (green card);
- Are not in the United States at the time of submitting the application and have not resided in the United States for 5 or more consecutive years in the six-year period preceding the date of application. A candidate who has lived in the United States for 9 months (or more) during a calendar year is deemed to have resided in the United States for that year. Additionally, preference is given to those candidates who have not had substantial recent experience in the United States, which is defined as a period aggregating more than an academic year (9 months) during the past 5 years;
- Are employed as researchers or researchers and lecturers in higher education institutions, research institutes, Polish Academy of Science units, international scientific institutes or other scientific units in Poland;
- Hold, at a minimum, a Ph.D. degree;
- Have a very good command of the English language;
- Meet formal requirements of J-1 visa.
- Candidates with a Ph.D. and a “habilitation” degree or with professor rank, affiliated at higher education institutions, are eligible to apply only if they plan to teach classes with students in addition to the research project.