The Visiting Research Graduate Traineeship Program (VRGTP) offers 11-12-month research traineeships for outstanding, qualified students of the biological fields of study (e.g. biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, pharmacy) at the selected institution in the United States. VRGTP is administered by Polish-U.S Fulbright Commission, but it is not a Fulbright scholarship.
Currently, VRGTP is hosted by 4 American institutions: University of Chicago, University of Virginia, University of Texas – Southwestern Medical Center, and Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation. More information about the history of the VRGTP can be found here.
The application process is now closed.
The program spans 11 to 12 months. It starts early July, 2017 and ends June, 2018.
American Institution offer
- The opportunity to participate in important and attractive research problems. In some cases, a student will be able to use tests results for a thesis at his or her home institution
- Scholarship funds in the amount of $25,000 – $27,500 for living costs
- Official assistance in obtaining F1 or J1 visa to the US (cost of visa has to be paid by the student)
- Medical insurance
- The reimbursement of travel costs (for Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation only)
- You are a student in a Master′s or PhD program at a Polish university or research institution. Students who wish to participate in the traineeship must do so in the summer semester during first or second year of a Master degree program.
- You are studying the biological fields (e.g. biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, pharmacy)
- Your English skills are fluent in speaking and writing, especially in the aspect of scientific language (formal exam welcome, but not necessary).
- You have prior experience in laboratory work (both in Poland and abroad).
- You have a high academic standing (GPA of 4.2 or above is recommended).
Required documents (in English)
Letter of recommendation
At least one letter of recommendation from an independent researcher
Home institution agreement
Agreement signed by the Dean of the faculty and the candidate’s promotor (download the template)
How to apply?
- Check the requirements
- Prepare required documents
- Prepare additional documents (optional)
- Fill out the application form
- Send attachments
- Important dates
Read all the information on this website carefully. If you have any questions, contact the Program Officer.
- Prepare all documents. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- All documents should be formatted as a single .pdf file in the following order: CV, transcripts, personal statement, letters of recommendation, home institution agreement
- The titles of projects from previous years can be found here. The list of topics for the 2017-2018 will be announced soon.
- Documents should be titled with your first name followed by your last name, e.g. Kowalski Jan.pdf
- Candidates may attach other documents (up to 5) certifying English proficiency, experience in laboratory work, achievements, publications, etc.
- It is important that the document is formated as [Last Name][First Name].pdf, e.g. Kowalski Jan Supplement.pdf
Click here to open the application form
Send attachments in one email to email@example.com. Remember to include “Zgłoszenie do program VRGTP” in the email subject line.
- February 1 – This is the last day that you can send in your application.
- February 15 – First stage results. Selected candidates will receive an invitation for an interview.
- March 5 – Deadline for candidates selected for interviews to submit their transcripts from the winter term.
- March 13-22 – Interviews to be held in Warsaw, Gdańsk and Katowice (date and place are subject to change). Travel expenses to the interview location has to be covered by the candidate.