Recruitment criteria & eligibility:
- Practicing journalists with a minimum of one year of professional journalism experience in any type of media (print, broadcast or digital).
- Journalists from Poland, Albania, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Kosovo, Moldova, Montenegro, Romania, Republic of North Macedonia, Serbia, and Slovak Republic are eligible to apply.
- Applicants with English command at a minimum B2 level can apply.
- Applicants with strong professional background in the field, demonstrated through recent work samples (in English or Polish language).
- All else being equal, preference is given to journalists focusing on science reporting, public health, economics and other data-heavy fields.
Note: Applicants with U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent residency are not eligible for this program. Preference will be given to applicants who have not previously been awarded a Fulbright grant or who have not had extensive experience in the U.S.
- to acquaint participants with the scope of explanatory journalism in the U.S., offering tools and strategies for developing such stories in a fact-based, ethical way;
- to learn about and discuss issues related to countering disinformation, oversimplification, and ethical concerns surrounding complex topics (such as public health issues, climate change, economics, legislation, voting technology, etc.);
- to reflect upon relevant U.S. best practices and have the chance to work with counterparts in U.S. institutions to hone skills for evidence-based quality journalism;
- to encounter relevant knowledge from other disciplines about how users absorb complex subjects and to experiment with different ways of delivering critical background knowledge;
- to discuss current challenges in the media landscape and become familiar with the latest developments in the field through meetings with acknowledged journalists and representatives of media companies.
The program of the visit is expected to feature:
- Travel to several locations in and around Washington D.C. and New York City;
- Custom professional workshops delivered by Poynter Institute for Media Studies;
- Meetings and discussions with experienced journalists and media representatives who have relevant experience and portfolios;
- Visits to media organizations of interest;
- Workshop on Issues in Science Reporting, with the Executive Editor, Herald Community Newspapers group;
- Highlights* expected to be included: visits and discussions with practitioners and representatives from ProPublica, PBS-Public Broadcasting Service, Vox, Washington Post, International Center for Journalists, Solutions Journalism Network, Poynter Institute for Media Studies, New York University’s Carter School of Journalism.
*Please note: We do not guarantee meetings with entities explicitly named here. Efforts will be made to secure the specified meetings but in some cases suitable alternatives may be arranged. The final program will be tailored to the specific needs of the recruited group.
The program is offered free of charge and with following costs covered by the organizers: insurance, visa costs, flights to/from the U.S. and local travel in the U.S., hotels, meals and incidental expenses while in the U.S. Participants are required to cover local transportation costs in their own countries if necessary, personal expenses and miscellaneous.
The study tour is organized in partnership with World Learning Inc. and funded by the U.S. Department of State.
The program is conducted entirely in English with no translation provided.
Program Privacy Notice: https://fulbright.ro/program-privacy-notice
Successful applicants will travel to the U.S. on J-1 short-term visas which are subject to specific requirements and restrictions, please see information here.
All participants must be fully vaccinated before travelling to the United States. The following vaccines that are FDA authorized or listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization (WHO) meet the criteria for travel to the U.S.: Moderna, Pfizer/BioNTech, Janssen (Johnson & Johnson), AstraZeneca including Covishield, Sinopharm, Sinovac. Please note that pandemic-related requirements are subject to change. You may check the official CDC website for the latest news on Covid-related travel requirements to the U.S.
For further information, please send your inquiries to: [email protected]